My home town

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Caracas a city of contrasts




I was born in Caracas, a beautiful valley of approximately four million people. The city, the capital of Venezuela, is surrounded by "El Avila"*, an amazing mountain that warmly hugs the city. It is located north the country*, very close to the shore.
The geographical composition of the city makes it vey versatile, either you live up or down the hill people find pleasure at will: squares*, parks*, museums*, theaters*, shopping areas, night clubs, bars*, restaurants. Nice buildings and houses, wonderful views, trees and flowers among the concrete and a privileged climate make Caracas an attrative city to live in.
Unfortunately, this valley has another side, another view, a belt of misery*: the slums*. People are trapped in this underworld, far from education, comfort and opportunities, but filled with hopes.
The two contrasting worlds cohabiting in the same city, pursuing their own dreams.

Listen to my recording http://ennz.springdoo.com/public/play/?id=FAA83E57FA72A0BD

* These images were taken from Google and Yahoo.

13 Comments:

Blogger Berta said...

Great Marianela. The picture of the slums is impressive. The ones on the parks and theater are too tiny, but one gets the idea.
Excellent first!!! You are definitely on your way. Congratulations!!!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Marianela said...

Thanks Berta for your comments. I changed two pictures for larger ones.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Hi Marianela,

What impressive pictures of the contrasts in your city. It's difficult to imagine the close quarters that the people in the slums have to live in.

I'd like to see some more pictures!

Kindly,
Sharon

3:25 PM  
Blogger Marianela said...

Hi Sharon,
I´ll try to find some more other pictures and post them. In fact, I´ll take the pictures myself and send them as soon as possible.
Take care,
Marianela

4:21 PM  
Blogger Daf said...

Dear Marianela,

I am very proud of your work, and of your enthusiasm :-)

hugs,

Daf

5:19 PM  
Blogger Cora Chen said...

Hi Marianela,

You blog looks great--congratulations!

:)
Cora

6:03 PM  
Blogger Maria Claudia Bellusci said...

Congrats Marianela on your newly-born! The pictures are impressive and I like the way you integrated your voice into the blog.
Good job!
Claudia

8:39 PM  
Blogger Cristina Costa said...

Great blog! Liked the pictures a lot. It made me want to go and visist Caracas!:)
beijinhos

10:19 PM  
Blogger Marianela said...

Thanks Dafne, Cora, María Caludia, Cristina and Crissan for going through my blog. It's quite a challenge since I'm kind of shy for this type of technology. But, I'm starting to like it...
Marianela

8:02 AM  
Blogger Gladys Baya said...

Well done, Marianela! An ambitious first entry, including hyperlinks, photos and even audio! :-D
You must be proud of your achievements.
Enjoy blogging!

Gladys

12:41 PM  
Blogger Marianela said...

Thanks Gladys for your nice comments. I tried to do my best in my first attempt.
Bye,
Marianela

7:02 AM  
Blogger Teresa Almeida d'Eça said...

Hi, Marianela!
Congrats on a great first attempt at blogging!
The photos clearly show the extreme contrasts. My photographic mind immediately brought up images of Rio de Janeiro back in 1980 where these extremes are also obvious and shocking: a beautiful city with several slums side-by-side with upper-class neighborhoods.
I've seen this contrast in other places. We also have them in my country. It's a shame.
Hugs, Teresa

5:59 AM  
Blogger Lisette said...

Hello Marianela,
Nice to see how English teachers in Venezuela are working their way through new ideas to improve teaching and still having fun!
Lisette Lunar.
I´m Bluemoon!

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home